Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Pilgram's Progress

It seems an incredible thing to me that while crossing The Sahara Desert that Dave is able to find internet cafe's in the back of beyond to send reports of their progress. It is his intention to serialize in-depth their adventures along the way, so I don't intend to steal any of that thunder, but I would like to let readers know that at least they are safe and sound, and at what point they are in their journey.

The estimate for the entire 5,000 kilometre journey, door-to-door was sixteen days, but hopefully that could be shortened to fourteen as Matt has to get back to Luton. I am counting as Day One the tenth of February, and on that basis, today being the 21st of February, that leaves a hoped for arrival date of between the 23rd to the 25th. Most probably the 25th will be it.

To plot where they were when they sent the last report, find Niger on the map and look for the town of Agadez, which is called the Southern Gateway to the Sahara. That seems to suggest that the worst is behind them and the car has performed well.

The most valuable investment that they made has been put to plenty of use, that being the shovel as the car has had to be dug out of the sand several times. However, when all that there is is sand, getting stuck is no surprise.

Although I felt more than a twinge of envy at the start, I have had to conclude that I would not have enjoyed this journey one bit. I put that down to the fact that I usually avoid going to the beach because of the sand that gets absolutely everywhere. Can you just hear me whine about being in the middle of the desert? Of course, when it was all over I would dine out on those stories forever.

No comments: